Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, December 19, 2008

Friday Finds 12/19/08


Five books made it on to my personal reading list this week ...

  1. Dreaming in Cuban by Cristina Garcia - according to Stefanie, it "is a novel about memory–remembering, forgetting, trying to forget and attempting to find peace when forgetting is impossible–and about the past and how it affects the present" ... and that sounds fascinating to me.
  2. The Voyage of the Narwhal by Andrea Barrett - I had another Barrett book on my list last week - in her comment on my post, Dawn suggested this book as well - I've surprisingly enjoyed reading about arctic adventures so I think I'll enjoy this book - thanks Dawn!
  3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - this is the story of a young, white, female reporter in the 1960s who decides to write an article about the black women working as domestics (aka "the help") in Jackson, Mississippi, along the way learning that people really aren't that different after all - Jessica raved about her ARC of this book
  4. Now Silence: A Novel of WWII by Toni Warner Shepard - WWII books are on my radar screen since I'm doing the War Through the Generations: WWII Reading Challenge in '09 - I heard about this one through BookMovement's newsletter - it's about the residents of a New Mexico town waiting for their loved ones to return from a Japanese POW camp - the author grew up in the Philippines during the 1940s so much of her book is based on firsthand knowledge
  5. Alan's War by Emmanuel Guibert - another WWII book that I'm considering for the War Challenge mentioned above - LitMob says this book "succeeds not only in recounting one man’s life and personal journey, but also as a work of true art. Mr. Guibert’s illustrations are stunning, and they allow the reader to experience the story on a level that is simply not possible without these black and white cells."

There's one new book on Kiddo's list this week ...

  1. Cave of the Dark Wind by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson - I heard about this through a Kids Picks post this month - I already have the Peter and the Starcatchers series on Kiddo's list, and now I know there are additional books in second series - I think he'll really enjoy these!

To check out other Friday Finds head over to MizB's!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think The Help looks terrific, too.

Anonymous said...

I have Now Silence in my collection. Will read for WWII challenge.


My FF post is up!

Amanda said...

I found The Voyage of the Narwal this past summer at a used book store for about 2 dollars or something ridiculously cheap. I hadn't heard of it before but it sounded fascinating. It's one I've been really wanting to read recently.

Eidin said...

Heather you've found an amazing number of books that all sound good!

I have one.

Anonymous said...

From what I remember, Dreaming in Cuban is a lovely book. A little weird in places, but the writing was impressive.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness)

avisannschild said...

I'm still hoping I might get The Help...

My FF post is here.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin